The Seed Investment Fund is a $27 million fund managed by ANU Connect Ventures on behalf of the ANU-MTAA Super Venture Capital Partnership that invest in early-stage commercial opportunities arising out of research at the ANU, other ACT-based research institutions and local R&D companies.
ANU Connect Ventures is no longer accepting new applications for seed funding due to the Fund reaching the end of its investment period as of 30 June 2017.
Investee companies in receipt of seed investment from ANU Connect Ventures will be eligible for follow-on funding from an ANU, MTAA co-investment program. Follow-on investments do not have a formalised funding limit and are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
A successful investment will require the commercialization opportunity to exhibit all or a significant majority of the following criteria:
- High rate of return of 5 times or greater on the capital invested.
- Expected realization of the investment in a 3-8 year period
- Potential for high revenue growth in both Australian and international markets.
- Identifiable potential to secure external grant funding and venture capital co-investment.
- Proprietary technology, product or service that can be appropriately protected by patents, registered designs, circuit layout rights, plant variety rights, or regulatory or other barriers to entry.
- A realistic business plan with appropriate key operational milestones and specific external fund raising objectives for meeting growth and revenue targets.
- Credentials of the management team and the willingness of inventors to work with the project company CEO and management team (if appropriate).
- Identifiable exit strategy in a reasonable period of time by an IPO, trade sale, joint venture, other syndication or through appropriate licensing arrangements.
- Potential benefits to ACT and or wider Canberra region